Score: South Dakota State 2 – Oral Roberts 1
Records: SDSU (10-10, 3-2 SL) – ORU (10-10, 4-1 SL)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (J.L. Johnson Stadium)
TULSA, Okla. – A solo home run in the top of the ninth proved the difference as the Oral Roberts baseball team dropped a 2-1 decision to South Dakota State Saturday afternoon from J.L. Johnson Stadium.
The Golden Eagles scored their only run of the ballgame in the bottom of the fourth evening the score 1-1 as Drew Lowe sprinted home and beat the tag on a wild pitch after singling earlier in the frame.
ORU had plenty of chances to break the game open, but stranded 10 total runners going 2-for-18 with runners on base. Following a 53-minute weather delay in the first, a walk loaded the bases for the home side only to have the Jackrabbits make a diving catch in center to erase a potentially big inning.
The Golden Eagles were able to get the would-be tying run to third base in the bottom of the ninth as Jake McMurray started the rally with a one-out single. The freshman moved to third on a pair of wild pitches only to be stuck 90 feet from home plate.
Quote of the Day
"We were terrible with men in scoring position and I thought that was the difference. We had plenty of opportunities, but we just didn't get any big hits in big moments. If you're going to win close games and beat good clubs you have to make some swings and get some hits in big moments, and we didn't do that today." – Head Coach Ryan Folmar
South Dakota State used its only extra-base hit of the game to break a 1-1 deadlock in the top of the ninth as Drew Beazley hit a solo home run to the opposite field. Bret Barnett finished off the game from the Jackrabbits bullpen limiting ORU to one hit and a walk over the final 2.2 innings picking up the win.
Inside the Box Score
- Matt Gaskins battled through six innings on the mound as the starter left nine Jackrabbit runners on base and gave up just one run on four hits. The junior from Jenks, Oklahoma, struck out a season-high six batters and earned a no-decision.
- Hunter Swift led the Golden Eagles offensively going 3-for-4 at the plate hitting three singles. His first hit came in the third inning immediately after Andrew Pace reached on an error. ORU put two into scoring position without an out, but could not come through with a run in the inning.
- Trevor McCutchin beat the SDSU shift in the sixth and hustled his way to a lead-off double, ORU's only hit for extra bases. The senior also drew one of the team's four walks, while Pace reached base twice with a walk and single.
- Archambo retired six-consecutive batters before the go-ahead home run in the ninth. It was the only hit allowed by the sophomore as he struck out a pair in a career-long three innings of work suffering the loss.
- The loss snapped a 32-game home winning streak for ORU against Summit League opponents dating back to April 1, 2017, while it was SDSU's first win at J.L. Johnson Stadium since 2016.
The Golden Eagles and Jackrabbits finish their weekend of Summit League action with the rubber match Sunday afternoon live on the ORU Sports Network at www.ORUAthletics.com starting at 1 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.