Score: No. 4 Oral Roberts 9 – No. 3 Dallas Baptist 18
Records: ORU (38-20) – DBU (41-20)
Location: Fayetteville, Ark. (Baum Stadium)
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The Oral Roberts baseball team held an early lead, but could not slow the offense of Dallas Baptist in the middle innings closing its season with an 18-9 loss Saturday afternoon in the NCAA Fayetteville Regional at Baum Stadium.
The Golden Eagles jumped out to a quick 4-0 lead in the third inning as Trevor McCutchin and Harrison Smith delivered one-out singles. Nick Roark laced a two-run double down the line in left to get the scoring started and another run came home on a wild pitch. Noah Cummings doubled with two outs and Spencer Henson added a RBI single to cap the frame.
The Patriots responded by hitting four home runs in a five-run bottom of the third and tacked on 10 runs in the fourth to break the game open. ORU pushed back in the fifth when Cal Hernandez and Cummings singled to open the inning before Henson obliterated his team-leading 10th home run. Keizor followed with a two-run blast after a Nick Rotola bunt single to give the Golden Eagles a sign of life.
The damage was too much to overcome late in the contest, despite 12 hits in the contest, as ORU ended its 2018 season with an overall record of 38-20 and Summit League regular season and tournament titles.
Quotes of the Day
"The seniors have won a lot of games for us at ORU. It was a really special recruiting class when those guys came in and it's going to be tough to see them go. They've meant so much to this program and I'm really proud of them." – Head Coach Ryan Folmar
DBU hit four home runs in the third to erase the Golden Eagles' four-run advantage. The first two batters of the inning hit long balls cutting the ORU lead in half before another solo shot made it a one-run game with one out. A single followed and DBU added a two-run round tripper to take the lead that was never relinquished.
Inside the Box Score
- Eight different players recorded at least one hit for the Golden Eagles, while four finished the day with two hits.
- Henson will end the season as the Triple Crown winner from The Summit League as he went 2-for-4 with four RBI and a run scored. He ended the season with a .368 batting average, 10 home runs and 58 RBI.
- Keizor continued his excellent tournament as he was retired just twice in two games. The redshirt sophomore posted a 1-for-3 day at the plate and was hit-by-pitch to total two RBI.
- Cummings added two hits and led the team with a pair of runs scored and Roark also finished with two hits. The duo combined for both ORU doubles.
- Kyler Stout, the all-time saves leader in program history, gave ORU a chance late in the ballgame throwing 2.1 innings striking out a career-high five batters. It was his 88th career appearance tying for third in Golden Eagles history as he allowed two runs on just one hit.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.