Score: South Dakota State 9 – Oral Roberts 14
Records: SDSU (2-15) – ORU (9-6)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (J.L. Johnson Stadium)
TULSA, Okla. – All nine hitters for the Oral Roberts baseball team recorded at least one hit in a 14-9 win over South Dakota State in the Summit League opener for both teams Friday night at J.L. Johnson Stadium.
A combined 23 runs scored, 17 hits and 20 walks led to a 3 hour, 36 minute game where the Golden Eagles out-hit the Jackrabbits by a wide, 13-4 margin. ORU scored at least two runs in six of eight innings offensively, highlighted by a two-run home run by catcher Riley Keizor on a three-RBI night.
Quote of the Day
"Today we found a little bit of a different way to win. I thought offensively we were really good up and down our lineup. We drew some walks, moved some runners, had some situational offense and hit a ball out of the yard. We did a little bit of everything offensively, but we needed to win one like that." – Head Coach Ryan Folmar
The Golden Eagles quickly erased a 1-0 deficit in the bottom of the first, but the Jackrabbits regained a lead in the third with a three-run home run. ORU was not deterred and took command of the ballgame by scoring the next 10 runs, including two to tie in the bottom half of the frame. Keizor started the momentum with a RBI single in the third and Spencer Henson sprinted home on a wild pitch to even the score. Jared Montoya put the Golden Eagles in front, 5-4, in the fourth as his heads-up base running allowed him to score from second on a bunt single by Cal Hernandez.
Inside the Box Score
- Eight different players scored a run for ORU, while six of those crossed home plate twice. Keizor led the charge with a career-best three RBI.
- Nick Roark, Noah Cummings, Henson and Keizor all posted multi-hit performances in the conference opener. Nick Rotola tallied the only other extra-base hit with a double as 11 of ORU's 13 hits were singles.
- Alex Schmitz hit a two-run single for the Golden Eagles to record his first collegiate RBI in his young career.
- ORU drew a season-high 10 walks getting two each from Roark, Keizor and Montoya.
- The Golden Eagles more than doubled their previous high for runs scored in a game putting 14 on the board.
The Golden Eagles and Jackrabbits close the opening weekend of Summit League action with a doubleheader Saturday afternoon as potential weather has forced a change to the original schedule. Game one is slated for 2 p.m. with the finale to follow 30 minutes after its conclusion with full coverage free of charge featuring video, audio and live stats on the ORU Sports Network.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.