Score: Utah 0 – Oral Roberts 3
Records: Utah (0-3) – ORU (3-0)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (J.L. Johnson Stadium)
TULSA, Okla. – Behind five quality innings from starting pitcher Justin McGregor, the Oral Roberts baseball team completed an opening-weekend sweep of Utah with a 3-0 shutout Sunday at J.L. Johnson Stadium.
Spencer Henson went 3-for-4 at the plate getting singles in each of his first three at-bats, including the eventual game winner in the second as he brought Noah Cummings home for a 1-0 advantage. Riley Keizor added a RBI single in the sixth plating Cal Hernandez and AJ Archambo hit a sacrifice fly to score Nick Roark and push the ORU lead to 3-0.
Quote of the Game
"We were really good on the mound. Justin was good at the beginning and the chance to see Colton again, as he seemed a lot more relaxed today and pitched really well. I thought Logan was good at the end of the game as well. You have to be excited about the way we pitched, not only today, but all weekend. We have some things to fix offensively, but any time you get three wins against a good club, it's good." – Head Coach Ryan Folmar
The Golden Eagles held a slim, 1-0 lead in the top of the fourth and used its defense to keep the Utes at bay as the visitors threatened to come back. Chandler Anderson singled opening the frame for Utah, but it was Cummings that closed the chance to even the score as he chased down a line drive and fired back to first base to double off the runner. McGregor fanned the next batter and ORU closed out the shutout.
Inside the Box Score
- McGregor surrendered only four hits over five innings of work to get his first win of the season and move to 10-0 in his ORU career. A senior from Midwest City, Oklahoma, he had at least one strikeout in every inning pitched and recorded the final out of all five innings via punch out.
- The bullpen was on its game again Sunday despite the early start time as Larkins and Michaels delivered over the final four innings. The pair combined for five strikeouts and only two base runners allowed with Michaels picking up a six-out save, the first of his ORU career.
- Henson recorded an RBI in every game of the weekend series and finished with a career-best three hits Sunday, all singles. The sophomore also stole the first base of his career in the second inning.
- Archambo went 0-for-2 at the plate, but did record the first RBI of his young career lifting a sacrifice fly into left to extend ORU's lead to 3-0 in the sixth.
- Sunday marked the Golden Eagles' first shutout since a 7-0 win over North Dakota State in the 2017 Summit League Championship game May 27.
ORU heads to Stillwater, Oklahoma, for a matchup with in-state rival Oklahoma State Tuesday afternoon. First pitch, live on the ORU Sports Network, will be at 4 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.