Score: No. 4 Oral Roberts 0, No. 1 Arkansas 3
Records: ORU (42-15) – UA (43-17)
Location: Fayetteville, Ark. (Baum Stadium)
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The Oral Roberts baseball team stranded 10 runners on base as it could not break through against the top seed, No. 11 Arkansas in a 3-0 loss Friday night in the NCAA Fayetteville Regional at Baum Stadium.
The Golden Eagles kept a capacity crowd of 11,088 fans in check in a battle of the team's ace pitchers. ORU's Miguel Ausua continued his impressive streak shutting down the Razorbacks for the opening four innings. The junior allowed only one earned run over 6.1 innings of work and left to a standing ovation from a great contingent of Golden Eagle fans that made the trip as well as a large group of home fans clad in cardinal.
The offense could not come through with clutch hits being shutout for the first time this season and ended a nine-game win streak, despite putting runners into scoring position in four different frames. The Golden Eagles put together two hits in the ninth getting the tying run to the plate before the home side closed out the contest.
Arkansas broke the deadlock with a run in the bottom of the fifth and tallied insurance runs in the seventh and eighth to advance to the winner's bracket.
Quote of the Game
"I thought Miguel was really good. He pitched extremely well and competed well all day long. I thought he was really good. I'm disappointed in the way we played offensively, but we've got to regroup in a hurry and come back out here tomorrow morning." – Head Coach Ryan Folmar
ORU had a chance to break the game open in the top of the third inning as Trevor McCutchin led the frame turning on a double down the line in right. He moved to third on a sacrifice bunt from Sam Grellner before Cal Hernandez and Matt Whatley drew two-out walks. The Golden Eagles were unable to capitalize as Arkansas ended the threat with a strikeout.
Inside the Box Score
- Ausua moved past Dennis Bigley's scoreless inning streak of 33 from 2005 following a shutout opening inning Friday. The junior had his streak snapped at 36.2 innings on a RBI double in the fifth, a span of six outings, as he gave up eight hits and struck out six suffering only his third loss of the season.
- Dylan Snypes led the Golden Eagles offensively with two of the team's six hits going 2-for-3 and was hit by a pitch. McCutchin had one of only two extra-base hits of 16 total hits for the night hitting a double.
- Defense for both sides took a run off the board as Michael Hungate charged a shallow single and sent a dart to home for the third out in the third inning. The Razorbacks turned a brilliant gem up the middle in the next half inning robbing Grellner of a RBI single that would have scored Snypes for the go-ahead run.
- ORU closed the night hitting 0-7 with runners in scoring position.
- Arkansas' announced attendance of 11,088 was the fifth-largest in Baum Stadium history.
ORU faces in-state rival Oklahoma State in an elimination game Saturday afternoon as the NCAA Baseball Championship continues in Fayetteville. First pitch is slated for 2 p.m. at Baum Stadium on ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.