Score: Oral Roberts 4, North Dakota State 0
Records: ORU (33-13, 20-4 SL) – NDSU (24-22, 14-10 SL)
Location: Fargo, N.D. (Newman Outdoor Field)
FARGO, N.D. – Miguel Ausua gave the Oral Roberts baseball team seven shutout innings in a 4-0 win at North Dakota State Sunday afternoon to avoid the series sweep.
The Golden Eagles scored four times in the third inning giving Ausua and the bullpen all the run support necessary to end the weekend set on a positive note against the Bison. Ausua (9-2) surrendered just five hits, all singles, on the day and struck out six to extend his Summit League-leading win total to nine.
The Golden Eagles broke out for all of their damage in the top of the third inning scoring four times on four hits. After Grellner scored on Roark's double, Cal Hernandez lined a single to right bringing Roark home for a 2-0 edge. Noah Cummings reached on a two-out, NDSU error and Brent Williams nearly sent another ball over the fence, but had to settle for a two-run double off the wall in the deepest part of left center as ORU moved in front 4-0.
Inside the Box Score
- Ausua temporarily tied for the top spot in NCAA Division I baseball totaling nine wins and lowered his earned run average to 2.19, behind only fellow ORU starter Josh McMinn (2.05)
- Roark paced the offense going 2-for-4 with a RBI double and drew a walk in the first before stealing second base.
- Kyler Stout recorded the final two outs picking up his ninth save of the season getting a strikeout looking before ending the game with a grounder to third.
- NDSU threatened in the bottom of the fourth getting back-to-back singles with one out before Hernandez started a double play with Roark and Williams to shut down the inning. ORU continued to play fantastic, errorless defense to keep the Bison off the scoreboard.
- Sunday marked ORU's fifth shutout of the 2017 campaign, all coming in Summit League play.
ORU is right back on the road heading to Wichita State for a mid-week matchup against the Shockers. The Golden Eagles go for the season sweep Tuesday night at 6 p.m. on WatchESPN.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.