Score: Oral Roberts 2 - South Dakota State 5
Records: ORU (27-11, 15-2 SL) – SDSU (16-18, 9-8 SL)
Location: Brookings, S.D. (Erv Huether Field)
BROOKINGS, S.D. – The Oral Roberts baseball team could not hold a slim lead on the road at South Dakota State, falling 5-2 Saturday afternoon at Erv Huether Field to snap an eight-game win streak in conference play.
Noah Cummings belted his Summit League-best 10th home run of the year giving the Golden Eagles a 2-1 lead in the top of the sixth on a solo shot before the Jackrabbits responded with four unanswered runs. SDSU scored twice in the sixth and seventh innings to even the weekend series.
The Jackrabbits turned a one-run deficit in the top of the sixth into a one-run lead in the bottom half of the frame. Four-straight, one-out singles and a throwing error led to two runs for SDSU before ORU limited the damage as Spencer Henson forced a bases-loaded fly ball to end the inning.
Inside the Box Score
- Cummings paced the Golden Eagles' offense going 2-for-4 with two of the team's three extra-base hits. He and Sam Grellner scored the runs for ORU and Grellner added the other double in the top of the ninth.
- ORU had a chance to break open the game in the fourth loading the bases with one out before SDSU turned an inning-ending double play. The Golden Eagles stranded eight total runners on base for the afternoon.
- Grellner scored the go-ahead run, breaking a scoreless tie in the fifth, after getting beaned in the hip with one out. The senior moved to third on a SDSU error and scored on a failed pick-off attempt for a 1-0 lead.
- SDSU scored in the middle innings to gain control of the matinee capitalizing on rare defensive miscues from the Golden Eagles, who committed three errors. The Jackrabbits scored all five runs in the fifth through seven innings and left 14 runners on base, including the bases loaded in those same three frames.
- ORU starter Josh McMinn (6-3) was tagged with the loss after allowing three runs, two earned, in 5.1 innings of work. The sophomore gave up six hits, but struck out a career-high eight.
ORU caps an extended road swing with the final game of the weekend series at South Dakota State Sunday afternoon. First pitch of the rubber game is scheduled for 1 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.