Score: Oral Roberts 4 – Iowa 7
Records: ORU (7-3) – Iowa (6-3)
Location: Minneapolis, Minn. (U.S. Bank Stadium)
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – Oral Roberts baseball could not answer three home runs hit by Iowa in a 7-5 loss Saturday afternoon at U.S. Bank Stadium.
In the first ever meeting between the two schools, the Hawkeyes quickly took control of the game as Jake Adams lifted a three-run home run into left off ORU starter Josh McMinn. The Golden Eagles chipped away getting runs in the bottom of the second and third frames only to have Iowa answer back each time.
Matt Whatley hit a solo home run in the bottom of the eighth, trying for more ORU late-game heroics, but the rally was stopped short against the opponent from the Big Ten.
After the Golden Eagles rallied back with a pair of runs in the bottom of the sixth to cut the deficit to 5-4, Iowa capitalized on a two-out walk in the eighth. The next batter belted a two-run home run into right adding insurance runs for the Hawkeyes' bullpen to hold off the late ORU rally.
Inside the Box Score
- Whatley continued to swing a hot bat for the Golden Eagles going 2-for-4 at the plate with two runs scored moving his hitting streak to eight games. The junior also launched his second home run in as many games, this time going to the opposite field for a solo home run in the eighth.
- Cummings finished the afternoon 1-for-4 with a RBI single starting a new hitting streak, but continued his streak of reaching base safely to 10 games.
- Bill Lovvorn was nearly perfect in 1.1 innings of relief work for ORU allowing just a walk to his first batter before settling in to retire the next four.
- McMinn suffered his first loss of the season scattering eight hits and five earned runs over five complete innings.
- Trevor McCutchin joined Whatley with a multi-hit effort Saturday going 2-for-3 hitting a RBI. The sophomore also swiped the first stolen base of his career.
The Golden Eagles play the third and final game of the weekend Sunday morning taking on Hawai'i for the first time in program history. First pitch is scheduled for 11 a.m. at U.S. Bank Stadium with live stats available courtesy of Minnesota.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.