Score: Oral Roberts 10 – Little Rock 4
Records: ORU (1-0) – LR (0-1)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (J.L. Johnson Stadium)
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts baseball team scored 10 unanswered runs rallying for a commanding 10-4 win over Little Rock on opening day of the 2017 season Friday at J.L. Johnson Stadium getting three-hit efforts from newcomers Cal Hernandez and Dylan Snypes.
A six-run fifth inning propelled the Golden Eagles to the lead and the bullpen effort of Justin McGregor and Trevor McCutchin, throwing five scoreless innings, shut the door on the Trojans down the stretch.
Reigning Summit League Newcomer of the Year, Brent Williams, capped the fifth hitting his first home run of the season as ORU scored all six runs with two outs. The senior closed out the opener with four RBI after hitting a sac fly in the fourth.
Quote of the Game
"Going into the year, we thought we had an experienced lineup and I think that is what you get out of an experienced lineup. When you are not getting a lot of hits, you are still able to score because you draw a walk, move a runner, score a guy from third, move up on a ball in the dirt, steal a couple bases and I thought that is what we did well early. Once we got later in the game, we had a couple big hits to put it out of reach." – Head Coach Ryan Folmar
The Trojans chased ORU starter Bryce Howe after four innings of work, but a six-run rally in the fifth pushed the offense to an 8-4 lead, which the Golden Eagles did not relinquish. Hernandez and Snypes started with one-out hits and Nick Roark added a two-out, RBI single into shallow right for ORU's first run of the frame. After Little Rock went to the bullpen, Matt Whatley was intentionally walked loading the bases leading to a two-run single by Noah Cummings and the home run off the bat of Williams.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU's Hernandez and Snypes went a combined 6-for-8 at the plate, each hitting a double and two singles, as the two newcomers to the team made an immediate impact from the bottom of the order. The juniors both also swiped a base for the Golden Eagles and combined for four runs scored and two RBI.
- McGregor, a fellow newcomer, struck out four batters in three shutout innings from the bullpen allowing just two hits earning his first win. McCutchin matched the scoreless effort and was in command for the final two innings. The lefty matched a career-high striking out five Little Rock batters of the seven he faced.
- Roark and Cummings joined the multi-hit performances for the Golden Eagles adding two apiece.
- ORU scored the final 10 runs of the game after falling behind 4-0 through three innings. The team went small ball for the first run getting a lead-off single from Hernandez, who stole second and advanced his next two bases on groundouts.
- Little Rock starter Matt McDowell surrendered five runs on five hits pitching 4.2 innings taking the loss.
- Despite the six-run win, the Golden Eagles were out-hit by the Trojans, 12-11, but the visitors stranded 13 runners on base, including two instances with the bases loaded.
ORU and Little Rock return for game two of opening weekend Saturday afternoon. First pitch is slated for 2 p.m. at J.L. Johnson Stadium with live video and stats available at www.oruathletics.com.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.