ELMHURST, Ill. – Oral Roberts catcher Matt Whatley was named Summit League Baseball Player of the Week, while ORU starting pitcher Nick Wood garnered the league's Pitcher of the Week award for their performances during the week of April 4-10.
MATT WHATLEY, ORAL ROBERTS
So. // C // Claremore, Okla.
- Earned his second career Player of the Week honor and second this season
- Went 4-for-4 in the series finale win at Western Illinois with three runs scored and two RBI
- Added three hits in game two of the series with a pair of RBI and a double
- For the week, accounted for 16 runs (8 R, 8 RBI) with three walks, two doubles, two stolen bases and a sacrifice fly
- Had a .571 average (8-for-14), .929 slugging percentage and .650 on-base percentage in four games last week
- Reached base nine consecutive at bats and had seven straight hits Saturday
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
NICK WOOD, ORAL ROBERTS
Sr. // RHP // Los Alamitos, Calif.
- Collected his second career Summit League Pitcher of the Week award
- Tossed a complete-game one-hit shutout in Oral Roberts' 6-0 win in game one of Saturday's doubleheader at Western Illinois
- Had seven strikeouts and allowed just two batters to reach base (one hit, one walk) in nine innings of work
- Threw just 102 pitches in the game and faced the minimum number of batters
- The right-hander threw the first one-hit shutout for ORU since 2009
For the latest information on ORU baseball, follow @ORUBaseball on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.