Game 1 Score: ORU 3 – LaTech 11; Game 2 Score: ORU 4 – LaTech 6
Records: ORU (5-3), LaTech (5-5)
Location: J.C. Love Field at Pat Patterson Park – Ruston, La.
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts University baseball team was cooled by Louisiana Tech Saturday afternoon as the Golden Eagles were swept by the Bulldogs in a doubleheader in Ruston, Louisiana. ORU fell to 5-3 this season after Saturday's games, while LaTech returned to .500 as they moved to 5-5.
LaTech set the tone for the doubleheader in the bottom of the first as Bre'Shon Kimbell ripped an RBI double to left center for an early 1-0 lead.
Inside the Box Score
- Logan Domenico led all ORU batters with four hits in the two games and scored once in each contest.
- Matt Brandy had a pair of hits and scored a run in the first game, and singled and scored in the night cap.
- Audie Afenir recorded three hits in the two contests.
- Dean Wilson picked up a pair of singles in the night cap.
- Anthony Sequeira singled and scored in the opening contest and Noah Cummings added a single in game one.
- Matt Whatley hit his first career double off the wall in left center to drive in a run in game one.
- Guillermo Trujillo (1-1) earned his first loss of the season as he was touched up for six runs, four of which were earned, in five innings of work.
- Kurt Giller (2-1) struck out seven in the second game as he took the loss in five innings on the mound in game two.
- Mason Paxton led the Bulldogs at the plate in the doubleheader sweep combining for four hits, three runs scored and an RBI.
- Tyler Clancy (2-1) went eight innings to earn the win in game one, and Phil Maton (2-0) got the victory in game two.
- Bre'shon Kimbell started the scoring in the bottom of the first with an RBI double that scored Mason Paxton.
- Two batters later, Brent Diaz doubled off the wall in straight away center, driving in Taylor Love and Kimbell to make it 3-0.
- Brent Diaz became the fourth run of the LaTech half of the first as he scored on a single off the bat of J.D. Perry, extending the lead to 4-0.
- ORU cut the lead to 4-1 in the top of the second Anthony Sequeira scored on a fielder's choice by Emmanuel Forcier.
- Matt Whatley split the lead in half in the top of the fourth with a double to left center, driving in Matt Brandy to make it 4-2 Bulldogs.
- The Bulldogs extended their lead to 6-2 in the bottom of the fifth with a two-run single to right by Jacob Derouen, driving in Chandler Hall and Paxton.
- Paxton made it 7-2 in the home half of the sixth with a RBI single, scoring Colby Johnson.
- A Golden Eagle miscue started a four-run bottom of the seventh as a misplayed grounder allowed Love to score to make it 8-2.
- Diaz followed with a single up the middle to plate Kimbell and extending the LaTech lead to 9-2.
- The Bulldogs rounded out the scoring as Bryce Stark hit a pinch hit SAC fly to drive in Jordan Taylor, and Hall doubled to left to bring home Diaz to make it 11-2.
- Matt Brandy drove in his first run of the doubleheader in the top of the eighth with a double to left to plate Logan Domenico to bring the score to 11-3.
- Brandy started game two with a single to right to bring home Domenico who started the game with a single up the middle, giving ORU a 1-0 lead in the top of the first.
- J.D. Perry tied the game at one in the LaTech half of the second as he scored on a wild pitch.
- The Bulldogs gained the lead in the bottom of the third as Love blasted a home run over the right field wall to make it 3-1.
- Later in the third, Kimbell crossed the plate on a SAC fly off the bat of Perry, extending the Bulldog lead to 4-1.
- LaTech made it 5-1 in the bottom of the fifth as Perry stole second and third before scoring on a Taylor Nichols single to left.
- The Golden Eagles began to chip away at the lead in the top of the sixth as Rolando Martinez singled in Brandy and Dean Wilson singled through the right side to plate Audie Afenir to make it 5-3 LaTech.
- Afenir was on the delivery end of a run in the ORU seventh as he singled over the second baseman's head to bring home Chase Stafford to cut the LaTech lead to 5-4.
- LaTech added a run in the bottom of the seventh as a high chopper off the bat of Perry allowed Love to score, extending the lead to 6-4.
ORU and LaTech are scheduled to play the series finale Sunday. First pitch at J.C. Love Field at Pat Patterson Park is set for 1 p.m.