ORU, UMKC finish in 1-1 draw
Score: UMKC 1 – Oral Roberts 1
Records: UMKC (1-1-1), ORU (0-2-1)
Location: Case Soccer Complex - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – Maria Stordahl provided the equalizer in the 71st minute of play on Friday as the Oral Roberts University women’s soccer team finished in a 1-1 draw against UMKC at the Case Soccer Complex.
ORU’s search for its first victory of 2014 continues as the Golden Eagles moved their overall record to 0-2-1, while the Kangaroos moved to 1-1-1.
In the ninth minute of the contest, Ellie Chadick sent a ball across the box from the left side to find Kara Priest near the right post for the first goal of the game. It was Preist’s second goal of the season.
The Golden Eagles controlled the ball throughout the second half, and after multiple missed opportunities, Stordahl was able to break through and net the equalizer as she took a touch from Madison Valenzuela from about 40 yards out. Stordahl took advantage of a defensive breakdown, dribbling into the box and finishing from 10 yards out.
Stordahl’s goal was the first Golden Eagle goal of the season.
Maria Stordahl tied the match at one goal apiece in the 71st minute as she cleared the defense for a breakaway goal.
Inside the Box Score
- After five total shots in the first two matches of the season, ORU rattled off 29 shots to UMKC’s 10 shots in the 1-1 draw.
- Shelbi Lousch and Madison Valenzuela each led the Golden Eagles with two shots on goal.
- Maddie Rhodes recorded four saves in goal for the Golden Eagles.
- Kara Priest led the UMKC offense with a goal on four shots, three of which were on target.
News and Notes
- 29 shots by the Golden Eagles are the most shots taken in a game since they took 36 against Rogers State on September 11, 2013.
- The match between ORU and UMKC was part of the Holiday Inn City Center Tulsa Invitational.
- UMKC will take on Tulsa at the Hurricane Soccer and Track and Field Complex on Sunday.
- Tulsa defeated Missouri State 3-2 in the other tournament match on Friday night.
ORU takes on Missouri State at the Hurricane Soccer and Track Stadium on Sunday at 4 p.m. on the University of Tulsa campus.