ORU falls at No. 17 Texas Tech, 5-0
Score: Texas Tech 5 – Oral Roberts 0
Records: Texas Tech (1-0-0), ORU (0-2-0)
Location: John Walker Soccer Complex – Lubbock, Texas
LUBBOCK, Texas – The Oral Roberts University women’s soccer team continued to look for its offensive stride as the Golden Eagles fell to No. 17 Texas Tech 5-0 in Lubbock, Texas, on Sunday. ORU fell to 0-2 on the season, while Sunday’s match was the Red Raider’s season opener.
Meagan McCullough put the Red Raiders on the board in the 8th minute, turning a Golden Eagle defensive mistake into the opening goal.
In the 12th minute, Alli Murphy earned her first of four assists in the contest as she set up Janine Beckie for a goal. Hannah Devine made the game 3-0 in the 21st minute with a header that got past Maddie Rhodes off a free kick from Murphy.
In the second stanza, Murphy hooked up with Caity Heap in the 64th minute and Cassie Conarty in the 77th minute to make it 5-0.
Megan McCollough scored the first Texas Tech goal of the season in the 8th minute to give the Red Raiders an early 1-0 lead.
Inside the Box Score
- Kayla Keller and Megan Giles had ORU’s two shots on goal in the contest, both coming in the first half.
- Maddie Rhodes earned six saves in the loss as she fell to 0-2 this season
- The Red Raiders outshot the Golden Eagles in the match, 31-2.
- Alli Murphy earned four assists for Texas Tech.
- Caity Heap and Janine Beckie each had three shots on target, combining for half of the Red Raiders 12 shots on goal in the match.
- Lauren Watson earned the win in goal for TTU with two saves.
News and Notes
- Sunday’s five-goal deficit was the biggest deficit in a loss by an ORU team since the Golden Eagles fell at Oakland 6-0 on October 21, 2011.
- The loss to Texas Tech marks the first time ORU has lost consecutive matches since October 19-21, 2012.
- The loss marks the first time the Golden Eagles have started the season 0-2 since 2008.
ORU searches for its first win of the season on Friday night as the Golden Eagles return home to face former Summit League foe UMKC. Kickoff against the Kangaroos is schedule for 7 p.m. at the Case Soccer Complex.