Utah outruns ORU in season opener, 2-0
Score: Utah 2 – Oral Roberts 0
Records: Utah (1-0-0), ORU (0-1-0)
Location: Case Soccer Complex - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts University women’s soccer attack was shut down in its home opener on Friday as the Golden Eagles were upended by Pac-12 member Utah 2-0.
The Utes controlled the game from the onset, outshooting the Golden Eagles 23-3. Utah’s Katie Rigby put the visitors on the board first in the 10th minute as she collected a loose ball in front of the right post, and put it into the open net. Katie Taylor was credited with an assist on the goal.
ORU had a great opportunity to tie the game at one just into the second period. Kayla Keller had Utah goalkeeper Lindsey Luke one-on-one, but Luke knocked away Keller’s shot attempt. Kayla Nsien was in the right spot for the rebound, but was unable to convert on the opportunity, sending the ball over the net.
In the 62nd minute, Taylor added the second Utah goal on a set piece from the right corner. Mikayla Elmer passed the ball of the corner and Taylor sent the ball around the near post to put Utah up 2-0.
Utah took an early 1-0 lead in the 10th minute as Katie Rigby corralled a loose ball near the right post and converted it for a goal, following a missed opportunity by Katie Taylor.
Inside the Box Score
- The Golden Eagle offense struggled as Utah outshot ORU 9-0 in the first half, and 23-3 for the game.
- Kayla Keller and Megan Guico each had shots on goal.
- Maddie Rhodes (0-1) took the loss between the posts for ORU, pulling in four saves.
- Baylee Nielsen led the Utes with seven shots and two shots on goal, while Katie Rigby, Audrey Gibb, Katie Taylor and Ali Allen each put shots on mark.
- Preseason All-Pac 12 goalkeeper Lindsey Luke recorded the win with two saves.
News and Notes
- 23 shots was the most allowed by an ORU team since September 24, 2012, when the Golden Eagles allowed 24 to Tulsa.
- ORU is 1-3 in regular season and home openers since 2011.
The Golden Eagles take the pitch for their second consecutive match against a power conference opponent as they travel to Texas Tech on Sunday. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. in Lubbock, Texas.